PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More (non nuke) Knicker-knotting Kipper Kvestions (Nimrod and ASMs, LGBs, etc.)
Old 4th Dec 2004, 09:04
olddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel ss11/As12

I was one of the co pilots trained to fire SS11(Training) and AS12(Warshot) from the Mighty Hunter in the 70s. "Training" consisted of sitting in a chair with a missile joy stick fixed to the arm and tracing patterns on the class room wall about 20 feet away with a light representing the missile tail flare!!

The missile was intended as a means of attacking "lightly defended targets". There was no sighting system, the approvrd technique was to fly the missile down to the surface and then surface skim it to the target. As there was no accurate means of judging the missiles height most of the practice rounds I saw on the range wound up hitting the Ogwash short of the target or passing harmlessly over the top!!

Incidently, I challenge Hairy Eng for the title of longest seving aviator in maritime!! He and I shared the same Shackleton OCU a "few" years ago but I didn't defect to VA for a few years before rejoining!!