PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More (non nuke) Knicker-knotting Kipper Kvestions (Nimrod and ASMs, LGBs, etc.)
Old 4th Dec 2004, 06:50
hairyeng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In answer to your question reference AS 11 and AS 12 missile's being fitted to the Nimrod Mk 1. I can assure they were. I joined the fleet in 1973 as a Flight Engineer and I was posted to 42 Sqn where I flew several sorties with the AS 11/12 fitted to the ac. The AS 11 was the training round if I remember rightly and the AS 12 the warshot round. They were mounted under the wings on the hard points that have been subsequently used for Sidewinder during the Falklands War and what are now used for the BOZ pods. The missile was wire guided and controlled by the co-pilot using a small joy stick mounted on the shelf next to his right hand. You can still see the position of where the stick was fitted for the hole is covered by a circular blanking plate. The missiles were designed for use against fast patrol boats and the idea was that the Mighty Hunter would front up and release these things from about 1.5 miles. A bit dodgy if you ask me. At night a tactic was developed involving the dropping of a 5 inch recce flare from the bombay whilst the ac was a between 3 and 5000ft and as the flare descended on its parachute we would ' swoop down' and release the missile. I was on board when we tried to fire one on Aberporth Range and the missile left the carrier all right but unfortunately the co pilot could not get the elevator on the missile to move away from the fully up position and it flew staight up over the ac and impacted in the sea behind us. The wire was wrapped over the wing. The Captain wanted to try again but the co-pilot and myself persuaded him otherwise. Great persuaders fire axes.

As to your question about Martel, it was never fitted to the ac. I am not sure why but it was going to be controlled from the AEO's position and that seat was known as Martel for many years. A last bit of history- During the Falklands War it was decided to see if the Nimrod could drop 1000lb bombs and a trial was conducted on a range somewhere up in Scotland, Garvie Island I think. It never came to much but I can still remeber the sight that was fitted to the coaming in front of the co-pilot which consisted of a perspex sheet covered with graduated lines which the Co was supposed to use for ranging information. Not very effective in terms of accuracy I feel.

I am still kicking around the Nimrod fleet as the longest serving aviator and presently I am enjoying the sun and sand of The Gulf.