PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Dynamics: The Swashplate and Phase-angle
Old 26th Nov 2004, 23:47
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up History and lessons learned.

To: MD900 Explorer

When I first joined PPRuNe in September of 2000 my very first post had to do with the certification of the R-22 and by definition the R-44. My reason for joining PPRuNe was that I had raised the same question on Just Helicopters and I was booed and jeered off of that forum mainly from Robbie lovers and partly by the jerks that frequent that forum. To my surprise I got the same response from members of this forum. Many helicopter pilots and those in training have a vested interest in the Robinson helicopters and refuse to admit that there might be a problem.

The question I posed about the ability of the Robinson design to achieve certification if it were proposed to the FAA as a new design. The question stems from the fact that there are several non-compliances with the requirements of AC-27-1 dated 8-29-85 and CFR 14 Part 27 (Airworthiness Standards: Normal Category Rotorcraft Revised 1-1-94.

Add to this, the FAA has stated that flying out of trim and sideslipping would result in possible mast bumping and rotor incursion due to the flapping extremes on the rotor system when exposed to these maneuvers. To gain certification a helicopter must be flown in a 90-degree sideslip at .68 VNE both left and right and, it must be flown 10-degrees out of trim at the same speed yet the FAA has placed a “restriction” on these maneuvers. If Frank Robinson presented his helicopter to the FAA for certification and he told them of the non-compliance’s with the regs. And that his helicopter could not be sideslipped or flown out of trim they would refuse certification (IMHO)

Add the rigging procedures, which are totally different from any other helicopter. The procedures place the mechanic in a bad position in trying to rectify the written procedures with what he knows to be correct.

I would strongly suggest that those members of this forum that fly Robinson products read the rigging procedures and if they don’t understand them ask a mechanic to explain what they mean and the discrepancies in the procedures.