PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Dynamics: The Swashplate and Phase-angle
Old 26th Nov 2004, 20:33
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finger pointing is the name of the game.

To: Vfrpilotpb

With the scant information that we are starting to see regarding the blades and the heads especially with these cracks, I feel that some body like the FAA or the CAA should really now do their job and really go in hard to find out why we are seeing this many Rotor problems, that will KILL pilots if left unchecked
In April of 1996 I sent an unsolicited report to the NTSB dealing with the R-22 Rotorhead and the rigging procedures which if followed by the mechanic could lead to problems. About a month later Mr. Ron Price contacted me. He was the principal investigator on the loss of control accidents that were discussed in detail in the NTSB report on loss of control. Mr. Price told me that the NTSB strongly recommended to the FAA that the R-22 certification be rescinded. The FAA would not do so and in turn contracted with Georgia Tech to determine the reasons for so many accidents. The investigation was cut short and Robinson added to section 4 of the POH the reasons for the accidents and how to avoid them. This material was never officially entered into the POH and signed off by the FAA so it really had no strength in forcing the operators to comply.

Mr. Price stated to this writer that the next time the R-22 had a loss of control accident he personally would shove it down the throats of the FAA and force them to ground the R-22. Since that time the R-22 has experienced about seven loss of control accidents one of which occurred in the UK and another in Ireland. And all were pilot error.