PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 20:35
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Normal.... I'm with you mate !..... Wherein might I suggest that some of the folks who post on these threads need to put this into perspective, i.e. there's a whole world of difference between being 'p!ssed & incapable’ versus being 'over the limit' ( imho ). Rules or no rules.

By way of example… I know a good many airline pilots who I wouldn't fly behind when they’re sober; just as I know a good many airline pilots whom I'd be quite happy to fly behind after they had a couple of pints of Adnam’s Broadside, or some such ( not that they would do both, of course - but I'm sure you get my point ).

And fer gawds sake please don't give us that old chestnut about kith and kin who’ve been killed by drunk drivers because what you’re really talking about in nearly all of those cases are drivers who’re usually absolutely bladdered, i.e. often many times over the driving limit, and / or who were in any case driving like a complete knobs – and which is how they normally drive ( regardless of how much they might have imbibed ) !
I.e. the fact that these drivers happened to be over the limit often has little or no relevance to the fact that doing 70, 80 or 90mph down a windy country lane, etc ( it being their normal 'white van man' driving style ) is an accident waiting to happen !

Indeed, for the ‘common sense nimbys’ out there, if you’re so sure of your position then please name the last time an airliner fell out of the sky, crashed, etc, as a result of the pilots being inebriated; and whilst you’re at it please tell us how many passengers have been injured or died as a result of pilot who’ve, apparently, been p!ssed ?!

All in all it’s a akin to the argument to ban mobile phone use in cars – that is unless you’re a police officer and / or member of the ‘emergency services’ when it’s ok to use one whilst on the move ( often at high speed ) - duh !
Wherein to put that into perspective, could somebody remind us just how many innocent bystanders did HM Police kill last year whilst conducting high speed car chases ? ( perhaps they were they on the phone ? ).
We’d also be interested to know how many people died as a result of somebody using a mobile phone whilst driving – and we’d love to know the difference between the two sets of figures ?!

Now I’ll accept that there’s a risk in whatever we do and how we live our lives but wherein life is risky.... indeed, come to think of it, I could get piles from wiping my arse with tissue paper.... so maybe I’d better stop doing it ?!

In closure, would somebody please wrap me up cotton wool and save me from all the bleedin’ do-gooders, nimby’s, nanny-state, and life-without-risk merchants !!!

Last edited by Old King Coal; 2nd Dec 2004 at 20:46.