PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 20:19
Yog-Sothoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fraid I see NN's point. What are we trying to prove here?

1. Yep, no excuse for drinking and flying.

2. Yep, anyone having personal involvement with DUI drivers is bound to have a strong opinion.

3. That doesn't mean this guy may have made a mistake, once, which is now in all probability going to ruin the rest of his life.

I remember all too well when Drinking / Driving was not as frowned upon as in today's 'Save the Whales' 'Support Gay Marriage', 'Don't smack Children', world. When it was 'There but for the grace of God go I....'. I'm neither excusing nor supporting, merely stating facts. The world changes, opinion changes, and no-one will know for years whether it was for the better. In the meantime, out come the soapboxes, outcome the Blairlike quivering lips, portentious comments, 'holier than thou' comments.

It could be you next time, it could be you dragged away because you used an inappropriate mouthwash in Scandinavia - would you like to think your motives, character, life history, were all going to be pilloried on some internet chat pages by people who daren't even admit their real identities?

As Andy Warhol said, we'll all get our 5 minutes of fame - remember, it could be YOU next time, I wonder if you would be quite so aggressively critical then?

I wish the guy all the best in the world, and hope he returns to flying a sadder and wiser man. Sadder - he may just find out how much support he got from his fellow pilots who must know at least the headlines of the case (in the papers - it must be true! The police said......" well that means it's beyond doubt eh?
Wiser - hopefully he'll discover polo mints to ensure the next know-it-all cabby doesn't phone the police.

I shall make a point of sniffing the breath of MT drivers, taxi drivers, and anyone else I accompany in the future, what comes around - goes around!