PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "The Saint" - a famous bomber?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 18:13
You Gimboid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK thanks very much everyone, I've got some more information for the curious:

I asked because my brother recently went to his wife's grandfather's funeral. We were amazed to discover the following information from his old comrades who attended en masse:

Unknown to the family, Eric "Stanley" Baldwin had been an RAF flight engineer who became a pilot and flew Wellingtons, Lancasters and Mosquitos during the war.

Where many of the crews would pack their parachutes as essential equipment, Stanley would only pack his toolbox. During a raid on Benghazi, Stanley's aircraft suffered damage and was forced to land in the desert. This usually resulted in a hazardous trek and sometimes death for crews unfortunate to suffer this fate. Stanley managed to patch the aircraft up using his engineering knowledge, and had the rest of the crew prepare a take-off strip in the desert by moving all the rocks etc and managed to get the bomber airborne again and nurse it back to base.

Stanley apparently flew his Wellington or Lancaster and kept the Saint motif throughout his war service. After the war he became a test pilot for Handley Page / Vickers and test flew various types including the Victor bomber and the Viscount turboprop.

The bizarre thing about this is that none of the family even knew about his colourful past as a pilot; we knew vaguely that he had served in the war but as he never really talked about it, no-one knew what he had done until his funeral and the eulogies of his old squadron mates, surviving crew members and those who knew him at Vickers.

Now, these could just be old war stories; I've tried Googling his name and various other keywords, but this has not unearthed much information. Your input is most appreciated - I am still trying to find out more information about this fascinating history.