PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 09:39
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Circuit Session Numero 3

Only an hour or so to go before I can join you lucky people doing your Nav! Glad to see you are all doing well and enjoying the flying. With regards to the weather, I do think that winter has brought along some beautiful flying conditions. The wind has dramatically reduced and there is more sunshine around. All that rain and wind from autumn didn’t half get on my t1ts – I am sure you will all agree!

Today was another borderline flying day, with regards to solo. One of the other instructors had said he was going to leave the zone and not let the student go solo, but we thought it would be worth doing one circuit just to see how I got on – so that we did. Today reminded me of my first solo day – the haze/fog was amazingly similar, in that you could make out the local features ok and see the airport, but there was no clear horizon to define. As well as the haze, we had a 9 knot crosswind, from the south, so today was certainly to be challenging. The idea of the crosswind increased the amount of adrenaline in the bloodstream but I was glad it was there, I wanted to defeat it (today), as to understand it a bit better and to move on. So on the first approach, I touched down ok, but was told that I could have perhaps used a little more right rudder (using crab technique). So next time around, on about 2 or 3 mile final, I put the rudder in first, as to use it all the way to touchdown, rather than after the flare. This was to demonstrate the use of the rudder in the crosswind and how it can be used all the way to keep the nose pointing down the centreline. This proved successful and I completed quite a good landing. So off we went one more time, I was being asked whether I felt ok about soloing and basically whether I would like to or not. It’s worth mentioning that the traffic was really busy when we departed, with quite a few aircraft waiting at the holding point etc. but by the time we had done 3 circuits, it had settled down a little.

So we went back to kilo and he jumped out. A little more (what’s the word? Nervous? Scared? Excited?) lets just say “adrenalin filled” than the last time, due to the traffic and the visibility, but off I went. First one went fine, nothing to report really, apart form the fact that I keep noticing things about the engine noise. Now I don’t know what it is, but I seem a lot more aware of what the engine is doing, I am probably imagining it, but as I am on my own, I am sure you can understand where I am coming from? If it makes a noise, or vibrates or anything, I start wondering? It is just my mind running away with me. Will I REALLY know if there is a problem with the engine? Are these noises just normal? It is probably the sun visor vibrating or something similar. Moving on.

I seemed to be too high on my approaches today, perhaps I am turning base to early, I will extend for a few seconds or so next time. On the final circuit, just after turning downwind, I was informed of a helicopter joining right base. I confirmed it and carried on as normal, then came the request to orbit. No problem, right hand orbit, remembering the wind velocity and adjusting the orbit as necessary as not to get too close to the runway. Then, a few easyjets later, I was told to continue on downind until told to turn base. So I did, carried on, and on and on. I went well past the industrial towers, just creeping past the Runcorn bridge, and I was wondering, “has he forgot?”. So I put the call in for late downwind, then he told me I could turn base/final. Ok so I was quite a way out by this time, and the runway was a fair way off. This was the first time that I would have to judge the approach and descent for myself, rather than do it as a matter of course at a fixed point (in the standard circuit). So I kept on going for a few seconds until I arrived just before the lighthouse, then began to bring her down. Again, I was a little too high, so put full flap in to get down easier. I remember approaching the runway and looking too ‘down’ on it if you know what I mean – I would have to judge the flare just right or I would end up either breaking the nose wheel, or floating for ages with a nice balloon! As it turns out, it was a nice landing. Very satisfying indeed to be able to correct my own mistakes and handle the circuit the way it was today. All good confidence building (I know, “don’t get too confident”! ) and experience. Just cant wait to leave the zone!

Sunfish, I wish you the very best of luck with your test - remember me when your flying around the Liverpool zone

Safe flying,

Lee