PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some words of advice (hopefully) to wannabes at all levels...
Old 1st Dec 2004, 16:33
fly-half

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great post and I go along with everything that Puritan started off saying. I would like to add to it with some advice of my own which I wish I had received when I first qualified.

I recommend finding any work in the aviation industry, preferably with an aircraft Operator. If you are fortunate, it can be a way in through the back door but even if that doesn't happen then it is something aviation-related on your CV. It can be invaluable experience and will be of great benefit to you as a pilot to know what goes on behind the scenes. Going back to Puritan's post, everyone has the same flying qualifications so it is difficult to stand out from the crowd. If you are working in the industry, you could give the positive impression that you are 'prepared to get your hands dirty'. It is also a great way to network amongst people in the industry and you never know who the people you meet will know.

After I qualified I lived in hope of that elusive 'lucky break' and spent a lot of time staying at home writing letters and sending my CV and making phone calls. But I was unemployed and it just didn't look good after a while. After 4 months I realised I should try and beef up my CV with something worthwhile and looked at any work in the aviation industry. I was about to start working as a baggage handler when I was lucky to get a job in Operations for an airline. I have worked for them for the summer and have enjoyed it very much and it has paid off because I passed a recruitment selection and I start a training course in the new year!

So as a summary in my opinion, the benefits of working in the aviation industry in another role are :

1. Excellent experience for yourself as a pilot later on.
2. Something worthwhile on your CV.
3. The chance to participate in an Operator's internal pilot recruitment.
4. Excellent networking opportunities.
5. You give yourself a greater chance of being 'in the right place at the right time'.