PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adventures in Class 1 Medicals...
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2004, 11:57
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
Had an audiogram in Lagos where after a few minutes the nurse said she'd finished. I was puzzled as only the left ear had heard any tones, and queried it. By now, looking at her and her graph of my performance, I could see one line accross the bottom and one normal line. She then told me I was deaf in my right ear!

After some discussion I persuaded her that perhaps the machine was faulty, but what to do? I came up with the idea of wearing the headset backwards and if she pressed the left ear buttons, I should hear it in my right ear. She looked at me as if I had two heads and had no clue what I was on about.

She agreed to try it, but continued to press the right ear buttons and of course nothing happened. A victorious look of "I told you it wouldn't work" crossed her face as I said there was no tone! At the last minute, a tone appeared (in my left ear) and she carried on with the test.

So, she's pressing the right ear buttons which are producing a tone in my left ear (headset still on backwards) and I'm looking right at her and the machine. Strangely enough, I got a perfect score!

The doctor expressed some concerns that possibly my right ear may be on the way out but that the graph was still good and could not really question it.

Had to wait 6 months to find out if my right ear actually did work!