PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pooley's ATPL Study Manuals
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2004, 01:30
Captain101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the pooleys manuals when they were first launched.
The school I was training with used them as one of the first customers. I can only assume they are better now than they were then.
Some of the books are quite good (AGK/HP&L/Met/Comms) but the rest, especially Gen Nav, are appauling.

After failing G.Nav the first time I got the Oxford book - next sitting I passed with 87%, with no extra tuition!

The only reason they got me through was because of the continuous ammendments sent to the school by pooleys, normally to correct mistakes spotted by students and a very good ground school. (not to mention many, many practice papers)

The books are comprehensive but don't emphasise the important areas, this means you have to work out which bits you need to learn. There is no colour in the books (bar comms), and although it sound minor, it makes a big difference. There is also lack of diagrams, consolidation questions and in some cases entire subjects (my guides missed FMS, ECAM and EICAS out of Instrumentation, they arrived 3 weeks before the exam as a supplement!)

Unless there has been a significant improvment in the last 18 months I would personally recommend avoiding the Pooleys ATPL study guides. I have used the Oxford notes and they are vastly superior.