PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it?
Thread: Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 22:40
Hufty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth it? Well, it depends on what your other options are. Sure there are loads of alternative careers out there and you can get very fat and happy by working for a large organisation doing something else.

For me, I am 33 and landed my first job this year after spending years working the City. The downside is that I have days off during the week and do have problems arrranging my social life due to an roster that tends to change, but it is a job I really enjoy as opposed to the job(s) I had before that paid me three times what I earn now but that I hated. I spent over £40,000 on my training and am now struggling a bit financially, but I wake up in the mornings now looking forward to going to work, which is something I have never experienced before. It is early days, but I get a sense of achievement now that eluded me before - flying an efficient sector and pulling off a nice landing is 100% more valuable to me than chasing some valueless corporate objective. I went for the modular route and it didn’t make a difference in getting my job. The fact that I got first time passes was more important in securing the interview.

There have been loads of discussions about modular vs. integrated so you can search, but look for posts by Pilot Pete for some good insight into the realities of the job!! There are loads of issues with a flying career, so you really need to genuinely enjoy the job to make it work for you.

Hufty