PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone give me some advice?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 20:54
madman1145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there;

The schools has there minor and major differences, just like there are minor and major differences in people ..
Therefore, because one school fits to one person doesn't necessary mean that it fits you - so, of course get advices etc. but make your own judgements and final decision to where you wanna spend your cash (or loans) ..

And there are probably good and bad schools everywhere, nomatter what country you go to ..

Considering your age I would recommend you the modulary way, not the integrated. With modulary you can:
- go more-or-less with your own speed, go fast and go slow, taking a break if that is needed, making it fit to your private life. Usually older people have more external commitments
- if not happy with your current school, choose another school for the next course and in some cases even in some other countries
- probably end up with a lower cost, because you can "shop around"
- as Astra Driver says, start with a PPL, getting to see if aviation really is what you want. You might find it very different from your trial flight to when you are in the middle of it. Nice to find out before spending too much

I myself have also passed thirty and I found it no easier studying that wast amount of materials you have to study for ATPL (and it's A LOT), been away from the school environment for nearly a decade before studying for ATPL. I have asked others at my age and they agree - it feels harder than when one was seventeen ..
So going at your own speed instead of having to follow a certain one on an integrated course that might not fit you, could be a goody for you - but of course, I don't know if you are a hard reader, having a mind where words stik to like glue the first time ..

Considering fixed wing certificates, you will most likely end up with paying your own TypeRating. That's sadly reality today ..

And as other say, the closest school isn't necessary the best one and one that fits you - check your PM soon ..