PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone give me some advice?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 14:57
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food for thought

Just a thought, and I know I say it every time these posts come up.....

If you are giving up everything to become a pilot, you want to spend as little as possible to get there. So why go and fork out £60,000 and spend 14 months training when it really isn't nescessary?

I spoke to a guy in July, who started training in August for the fATPL via the conversion route, training for the majority of it in the USA. By November he had FAA CPL/IR AND JAA CPL/IR (fATPL).

He was in the fortunate position to have just finished his ATPL writtens before starting the flight training, but even so there are companies out there who will get you from zero to fATPL for around £25,000 INCLUDING the JAA written exams and with the added benefit of holding FAA CPL/IR. These courses take around 18 weeks from start to finish.

I know some people think that this is a mickey mouse route, but its not and the end result is the same, except you exit with more hours / multi hours at the end of the conversion route which can't be a bad thing. Also some people will prefer to have the name of a big FTO on their CV, but at the end of the day it makes no difference.

If you WANT to spend a lot of money you can, if you don't, do a bit of research and you can save yourself tens of thousands of pounds.

Cheers