PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin latest
Thread: Merlin latest
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 09:44
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Si Clik makes a few important points here, but which will always place the older aircraft in poorer light.

……….software proven to 'current' safety standards. The Sea King 5/6 would not pass this sort of testing under current regulations (that includes JAR). When we had done the testing the aircraft was cleared (in late 2002).

>>> Standards continually evolve and change. Every Sea King contract (and those of other legacy aircraft) is caveated “The MoD acknowledge the (aircraft) was designed and built to standards of the day…….”. This is necessary as the design is Under Ministry Control and MoD has to acknowledge they simply cannot afford to keep up with ever changing standards. They are prioritised on safety and security grounds. For example, primary and secondary bonding standards changed in the late 90s – a safety issue – but it would never cross anyone’s mind to retro-fit every aircraft. So, specs for current programmes were amended, and life goes on. The aircraft is safe, but it’s not up to date. The cumulative effect however is that the manufacturer / MoD may make a decision to stop marketing / buying the product as it’s cheaper to start afresh.

This partially answers the following question……

Has the cost / R and D / spares availability of this replacement airframe really been worth it (to date).
What could the 3 services have procured for that same sum of money if they had gone about it on a more practical basis [I.e. consulted with the end user?].

Nobody here got promoted, or in the IPT, in fact I think most of the people involved were passed over or left. In fact both the guys who were key in the project PVR'd even before it was frontline.

>>> I know for a fact this is true, and that it extends to very senior people in the late 80s/early 90s. I knew one very well in various posts before he got Merlin and he was supremely competent. The RN lost a good man to politics. Still happening.

Unfortunately the Sea King is a legacy aircraft now nearly 50 years old. Ours are cracking away gracefully and no-one makes them anymore. I have 1500 hours on the old queen but I still wouldn't go back because while you're seldom safe twin in a Merlin you can ALWAYS fly away from an ASW hover.

>>>General point taken, and I’ve explained one very important reason why they’re not made, but the RN’s oldest SK is 35. There followed numerous production runs into the 90s, and many have relatively few hours on them. In general terms the life is 30 flying years so I suppose the MoD spin could be that Merlin has arrived at exactly the right time! So, Merlin’s not late at all, it merely missed the “stretch” target!