PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magazines - Important - Sales vs. Editorial
Old 30th Nov 2004, 09:33
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could have been an interesting topic. However, it was hijacked for personal reasons which has pretty much negated its value.

I'm probably wasting my time, but how about doing the personal stuff by e-mail or PM, and letting the thread continue on its intended path? No, forget it - I'm asking pigs to fly I guess!

Damn shame, because I was an advertiser in magazines in a different industry and I could back up scameron's revelations 100%. Even now, 3 years after I closed that business, and even though I was a very small (classified ad) player, I am still pursued by the magazines each time they intend to run an article that may have been relevant to my business - and therefore revenue-earning for them.

I have to say that the worst 'offenders' (though perhaps understandably) were the regional and local trade association-type rags that apply absolutely no editorial rigour at all! They spout pure, unfiltered, uncritical drivel fed to them by their biggest advertisers. These rags do exist in aviation...

The point is, even the best magazines are purely commercial enterprises that exist with the intent to make money, therefore they are at risk of being influenced by their larger advertising clients. Though they may have the best of intentions, they can't often afford to upset their advertisers - unless they are in the rare and privileged position of being able to turn away less reputable (or even any) advertisers. As Pprune is... well, usually!

Scroggs

This message has been brought to you by The Moonraker Narrowboat Company with absolutely no commercially ulterior motive whatsoever!