PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in a 407 (Incl. video)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2004, 02:28
catalogue2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRL

That's really my point. There has been a good deal of debate as to what sanctions, etc., should be taken against the pilot for having done what he did. No question, he probably deserves to have his licence pulled, etc., etc.

But what about the aircraft itself? That's what I'm interested in. Has the aircraft been so badly stressed that it needs to be scrapped (or completely rebuilt, depending on which way you look at it)?

Or should the manufacturer have simply required the standard stress inspections to be carried out and make a decision then as to whether the aircraft could be put back into service or whether further tests, etc. are needed?

The reaction of the manufacturer seems, to me anyway, to have been based on more of a desire to "punish" someone, rather than to objectively establish whether the integrity of the aircraft has been compromised.

ARM505
The original thread is called "Virginia Airshow" and can be found by searching the African Aviation forum within PPRUNE with "Virginia" as the keyword. Sorry, I don't know how to insert a shortcut into this message to take you straight there.

The video of the helicopter doing the loop and roll is at:

http://hagar.up.ac.za/christo/Bell407Loop.wmv