PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - October '87 Hurricane-Were you on duty ?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2004, 21:37
Ranger 1

Forewarned is Forearmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at BRS Marshalling that day, a good friend of mine parked the SH-36 (Capital airlines) in front of the Terminal into wind.
The wind was about 240 30 Gusting 40 kts.
As it was getting stronger & starting to veer to 270, & the pax had just got off, we decided to park it into wind on another part of the apron out of harms way. (as there was no way the crew were going to take it out again in these conditions).
I proceeded to close the rear Hold door in preparation for it to start up, to reposition, as I approached the rear hold the wind gusted to 78kts & the open hold no longer was in front of me but overhead, It was a case of running for my life it, felt as though my legs were running in mid air along with a piece of bungie cord attached to me, I felt as though I was not getting anywhere.
As I looked back I saw the Shed's wing strike the ground & the Port rear main trye separate from the rim of the wheel.
Then out of the rear pax door came one screaming Hostie who fell over onto the airstairs but she managed to pick herself up again & ran staright into the arrivals entrance, unhurt.
Shortly after this the heads of the Capt & First officer appeared from the doorway, we all shouted at them to get out the other side as we thought they would be crushed should the aircraft blow over, any further, eventually with the assitance of Fire service we managed to open the rear starboard door, as the 2 crew members were unable to open it on their own, due to the wind blowing against it, after they were safe, we towed / dragged the aircraft into wind with a large Tractor & secured it to snow plough which was stored near by, & left it where it was.
On surveying the scene a number of light aircrft had blown over which were parked, & we saw 40 ft lorry on the nearby A38 on its side.
Then we had the news, that the roof of the Bar in the terminal was being ripped off & the terminal staff needed a urgent help to shift the Bar stock, this the whole section did without asking any questions (Excluding me)
This was 1 shift I will never forget, & for those of you flying out there that day I take my hat off to you