PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin latest
Thread: Merlin latest
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2004, 19:40
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SiClik: I say again:
Can anyone tell me, how many years the Merlin has NOT been able to dip in the dark?
How much has the Fleet Air Arm rotary wing training pipeline been 'delayed' due to the reliability of the Merlin?
How much does a 'Merlin' Mk4 replacement cost?
For a few minutes, forget the advantages of the avionics (in the Merlin), my concerns over the Merlin are orientated around the bloody cost of the airframe. Just for a few seconds (put your hand on your heart / swear on your kiddies lives!)
Ask yourself this:

Has the cost / R and D / spares availability of this replacement airframe really been worth it (to date).
What could the 3 services have procured for that same sum of money if they had gone about it on a more practical basis [I.e. consulted with the end user?].
Someone out there has got his promotion out of this and is currently sniggering into his brandy, as we speak

Now that Merlin has been jettisoned by N America and (in all due defference to the PR team for the 'VH101' lobby in yankee land) will undoubtedly be ejected by Bush.....who is going to buy this overengineered trojan's horse??????