PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2004, 06:55
prospector

Kaptin M,
We have been down this road before, your assumptions as usual are pathetic, by the look of your photo in the Hanmer Springs thread I would have had my first 5000 hours up before you got out of short pants.

However I will try once more, you will no doubt be aware that the RNZAF and the USAF require, from memory, some twenty hours of flight in Antarctic conditions before being let loose as P1. The Air NZ captains did not have the benefit of this training, that is why the descent restrictions were so restrictive.
There was never any requirement for the flight to ever contemplate landing on the ice, therefor, if the flight was not taken below 6000ft there would be no problem with whiteout. The Company standing order for descent is as already posted, you will note that descent from MSA, FL160, which was derived from the height of Mt Erebus, plus 2000ft buffer, had to meet the required conditions to even go to 6,000ft. 6000ft was the minimum descent altitude approved by NZCAA for these flights.

If this descent had of been Safely carried out, and it would have been if it was carried out in the manner approved by both the company and the NZCAA and as was known to the crew as a mandatory requirement, then this discussion would not be taking place.

The MSA was calculated using the height of Erebus as the first flights were in fact routed directly over this mountain.

Perhaps if you were to take the time to read the post by WITCH you may appreciate the standing of Mr Chippendale in the arena of aircraft accident investigation, and the weight his peers have put on his findings on this accident.

Capt Ellis, his qualifications were mentioned to show those who do not know him, that he had risen to the top of his profession, and that his views would therefor carry considerable weight.

Perhaps seeing that you obviously disagree with these highly qualified and experienced people you will post your pedigree so we can all judge who would have the most educated viewpoint??????

Desert Dingo,
You got it in one,
"The only problem was that they were wrong"

Prospector

Last edited by prospector; 29th Nov 2004 at 08:35.