PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2004, 05:11
McGinty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockhound suggests that "What McGinty writes in his last post doesn't square with what Bill Fowler of the TSB stated, as quoted by Capt. KAOS on Oct 15 (p. 5 of this thread).....:"

He goes on to ask "Is McGinty now claiming that the main wheels, as well as the tail section, hit the berm?"

My original post about the wheel marks was on page 18 of this thread, well after the early speculation by Bill Fowler and others.

All that I passed on to readers of the thread was a news report in the Halifax Herald that said the following: "From the helicopter there were no gouges visible in the pavement, but two tire marks in the brown grass led to a line of orange posts [the berm], part of the airport's navigational system."

The origin of my information was therefore not an aerial photo. My apologies for that.

If aerial photos of the grass strip between the runway and the berm do not in fact confirm the existence of the tire marks that the Halifax Herald reporter described, then my apologies for bringing an erroneous report to everyone's attention.

But if the reporter was correct in his or her observations, then the conclusion must be that at least one pair of wheels did hit the berm.

In the photo just posted above by Hobie there do seem to be some wheel marks both below and some distance before the obvious collision point, which is about the 40% of the way from the left of the berm along the white section on the top. There is a line of white debris immediately beyond that berm collision point. Or maybe it is a trick of the shadows that makes me see tire marks there?

Is there no other aerial photo of the ground between the runaway threshold and the berm that would provide better evidence one way or another?