PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good idea?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2004, 16:37
DickBoyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spin up to prevent aquaplane

Oldebloke said:

In the hydroplaning case,should the gear not spin up, either for failure of the system or too light a touchdown(greaser),once the weight is on the gear the spoilers are deployed manually.
The cases of B737 no spoiilers available were due to faulty squat switches,and the A320 cases were due to requiring too great a weight on the squat switch(reduced from 6ton -2.5ton).

Thanks for the clarification. When it comes to tire friction, it seems only part of the story is told. The part that is familiar to the story teller. Most of the aviation stories about friction fail to describe the normal force.

My question of friction control is more related to automobiles. There has been more published in aviation on aquaplaning than in the automotive world. Getting an aircraft tire to spin up is still an open question to me.

Automotive and road engineers seem to be concentrating more on friction improvement when it seems to me driver (pilot)education would be cheaper and achieve better results. Better results being fewer crashes in wet weather. Especially first rain.

Granted there are some roads (and runways and taxiways) with terrible friction characteristics. What is being done to correct that?