PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin latest
Thread: Merlin latest
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2004, 14:53
Si Clik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Flypro and Tucumseh,

I have waited and watched the biaised, uninformed drivel that you guys have written in this thread for too long. Your last 2 post are to be quite frank, complete b*$@$%ks.

A few facts:

Even before the Dipping body was in use the Merlin was better at ASW than the Sea King. In fact with the ability to carry 15+ CAMBS buoys (a Sea King in a box) we successfully proved ourselves able of getting better ranges against all Sub targets than the so called mighty King.

The ADS itself is not a British idea but one which every major power is buying including the Yanks for the SH60 and the French for the NH90. It is by far and away the best of its type and can detect all types of subs at ranges which would see Sea King crewman drool. We have been asked on many occasions by the staff at FOST to go away from ASW serials in order for the PWOs to get some training value since we could dip at the beginning of a serial and stay in contact for ALL of it without breaking dip.

As for flexibility I am sure that a Sea King ASW with all its kit in could carry a Land Rover or 6 stretchers and their accompanying attendents. Or maybe 18 troops in crashworthy seats who had a reasonable chance of escape. Oh and did I mention the GPMGS on both sides of the aircraft and Flying at FL100 at 100 KIAS with no vibration or handling issues.

I will freely admit we have technical issues from time to time but I seem to remember doing my whole frontline SK6 tour without night dipping. And on another note yes I have been into the dip at night in a Merlin with 600m plus of cable (yes that's 600m not 600ft).

Many of the so called serviceability issues with this aircraft are stores driven (a perennial story for all UK aircraft fleets) and recieve all due attention from those who manage the fleet.

And finally, because I could go on for ever here, I have done some research.

1998 to 2004 Merlin ASW write-offs 2

1969 to 1975 Sea King ASW write-offs 5

If someone replies and says these weren't all technical failures then fine - but its overall safety that counts and the Merlin wins hands down.

If you want to slag something off get the FACTS right.

Fly to test....Test to learn