PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin latest
Thread: Merlin latest
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2004, 11:26
Flypro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that 'willy-waving' will get us nowhere, it's just that this pig has been thrust on the FAA (I have no interest and little knowledge of the Crab version). It has cost a truly incredible amount of money to produce something that is less capable than that which it replaces.

It bears very little likeness to the original military specification and is years and years late in service and billions over budget.

I understand the political ramifications of retaining the UK ability to produce helicopters at Wastelands - lets just hope it's new FOREIGN owners don't pull the plug!

However, a Sea King airframe equiped with uprated engines/ rotor's/transmission/electronic suite is what the RN really needs. We have over 30 years experience of the airframe, and we know all its fault's - warts and all - to the extent we can probably predict where the next crack will appear!. It fits almost all the ships, and is very flexible in it's role (unlike Merlin). The ASW SeaKing 2, 5 & 6 was only ever rarely used in its primary role. Usually it flew HDS, loadlift, Surface search, SAR - need I continue?. Will the SeaNoff ever do that?

As for cost per airframe/maintenance/spares/servicing etc, well, the facts speak for themselves.

Rant Over

Finge et Fuge (bodge it and scarper)