PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irex...
Thread: Irex...
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2004, 01:39
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fly_boy

Best advice I can give is to "read the flippin question" at least twice before trying to answer.

My experience with the IREX is that there is usually a word or a phrase that is the key to the question. For example, does the question use the word "altitude" or "height"? In the exam that I did there was a question relating to altimeter error and the distinction between altitude and height was critical to the answer.

Another area to watch is that the question can be misleading. A paper that a friend did had a question that had an ETA for Sydney that provided a day and time and the ARFOR and TAF for a flight from Brisbane. The TAF had an INTER and the nearest alternate was said to be 45 minutes flying time away. The question asked how much holding or alternate fuel was required. The tick-a-box answers were Nil, 15 minutes, 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

After working through the ARFOR and TAF you realised that the INTER did not apply and there was no need for holding or alternate fuel. That was until you checked the ERSA, 15 minutes was required for traffic on the day and at the time given for the ETA.

As I said, "read the flippin question".