PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels up landing in Rockhampton
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2004, 00:13
Next Generation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realise that Flightsim98 had a Baron!!!!!!!!!!

i.e.... If lets say a Metro or a baron was flying from Brissy to Rocky, then whats wrong with stopping in at HBA,BUD,GLA etc etc
But let's assume that you are a big boy now, and you have moved up on your Flightsim to a B-737.

Flight time from Brisbane to Rockhampton, approx. 48 mins.
Another aircraft has had a wheels-up landing at Rockhampton 15 mins. prior to your arrival.
Can't land at Gladstone, Hervey Bay or Bundaberg.

Without carrying anymore fuel than already required.... If it happens whilst enroute then this works ok, but if it happens to be blocked on your final approach to land, then its as rare as rocking horse ****
You are only carrying sufficient fuel to get to Rocky, which is now 15 mins. away. Can't go back to Brisbane because you now need over half an hours fuel to get there. The aircraft with the wheels-up didn't occur as your aircraft was on final approach, it happened whilst you are enroute, but you are now screwed.

I'm surprised you have made it in the industry as its just not commercial sense to tanker fuel.....
Using this example, carrying an extra 1600 kg of fuel which might increase the overall fuel burn by 50 kg/hr for a 48 minute flight (approx. extra cost $30.00) makes more commercial sense than suffering a hull loss because you ran out of fuel.

I'm not really sure why I am spending so much time explaining this to a dip**** like Baron Wannabe, but maybe some good will come from this.

NG