PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VP-1 into the sunset
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2004, 00:02
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's serviced the slip ball, replaced the asi with one that reads less than warp factor 3, has had a good look at the a/c with my friendly pfa inspector and has a list of wee tasks to alleviate the boredom that many young men endure on winter nights!

We've looked at the chart, we've gone over the route, salient ground features, get out of trouble scenarios, what-if scenarios and he's now zizzing like a baby.

We are up at 6am and his adventure will begin! The hardest part so far has been convincing him to minimise the effort and make things simple - avoid using the radio, follow the A12, M25 to the QEII bridge then head home. He is going to have enough on his hands in a strange noisy open cockpit aircraft without being distracted by radio agencies and chit-chat!

His north-up map reading is something else that defies logic as is flight planning for 65kts! Pull the power back 100 prm and work at 60kts - make life easy. As for electonic gadgets, well I can say that withthe exception of his Casio wristwatch, all the dials and gauges are engine, static/pitot or magentically driven!

I've an 1100H appointment but intend to make sure that he gets to WP1 - so may just follow at a discreet distance. The speed differential may prove interesting!

Stik