PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magazines - Important - Sales vs. Editorial
Old 26th Nov 2004, 01:05
scameron77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus, I'll unholser my violin and play you a tune shall I? For God's sake dry your eyes, you are a grown man.

How can I advertise my employer who I don't mention? How can I be taking a thread off topic by pointing out a flaw in the first post, that defines the topic?
This is the quote to which SC is referring

I've had a clash with Send Clowns before, I started a thread and I had to rebuke Send Clowns in it for taking it off topic and advertising his own employer
As I mentioned earlier, please take particular notice of the word "BEFORE" meaning in the past. I can remember the post quite vividly, it was in a thread discussing ab-initio training overseas. he suggested paying Bournemouth a visit, checking it out and that the woman in the cafe made a rare cup of tea.

Why is it pedantic to point out a completely flawed argument that you are making?
Mate look at the rest of the posts, do you see anyone agreeing with you? You mention Genghis, he said he had been exposed to editorial interference based on advertisers. I'll also draw you to the following which will possibly explain why I used the word "pedantic":

Send Clowns picked holes in specifics to blindside you on the essential truth
PPRuNe Towers

I really have no interest in debating the particulars of scamerons post with you
0-8

Right next point raised by Send Clowns

Why should advertisers demand editorial influence in one medium in which they advertise, when they keenly advertise in another and do not?
Because they are aware of the huge amount of traffic (mostly considering flying in one guise or another) that bounds through this website every day. They are also wise enough to know you can't influence a forum, magazines are much easier to control if you spend the money with them. PPRuNe isn't a profit making enterprise, its ethos is bringing together people interested in a particular industry to exchange ideas without agenda. Its simply too good a market too miss for some of the schools.

Why do you make up things to attack me with? I never said anything about 95% of the readership flying. Is your whole argument this dishonest? I don't believe it is, but you do yourself no favours trying to discredit me that way.
I'll hold my hands up here, I mis-read Send Clowns original post and misunderstood it. NOTE: This is what an apology looks like when you kinda know you've made a mistake. However you took that far too personally and made quite a bit more than was really necessary.

The issue is that you do place great emphasis on adverts among the articles of certain magazines for the industry in which I work. My main point is that they very rarely place adverts in that section of the press
This thread was set up to advise wannabes to be aware that not everything they read in the the magazines is gospel truth. Also equipment is very relevant to those starting out on this long road as well as the schools. People buy on the influence of what they think is impartial advice. Funny that the most respected name in the UK for comparing products and services is Which? Magazine. You subscribe to it and they don't allow advertisers.

I merely mentioned that magazines used all sorts of techniques to increase selling space. To think otherwise is niave. Don't be surprised if there is an article about flying in Florida within the next 12 months in at least one of the three magazines originally mentioned with copious amounts of US flying schools advertising around it.

What you mentioned wasn't "...the same rule" at all, please do me the courtesy of reading my argument. The rule you had been talking about and I had been arguing against was the requirement for articles opposite an advert, not that people try to sell advertising space (not sure how that is not legitimate ). This cannot apply in the classifieds, as there are no articles there in the magazines you mentioned!
I never argued that buddy, I merely pointed out some basic publishing facts. One of which you decided to hone in on and make something of that there wasn't.

Now with respect to OBA

Personally I also believe they are one school that would not remove the advert anyway. Do you think they leave it there just to stop adverse comment? They must be getting business out of it, and they do a lot of business.
I agree with you 100% that they would leave it there. Its done to pick up the swathes of wannabes who buy the magazines and are unaware of PPRuNe and the sticky thread at the top of this forum going into more information of their past dealings.