PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2004, 23:38
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hobie, don't mention it. What I wrote was sheer speculative deduction anyway.

I very much liked, and agree entirely with, Captain Airclues's comment:

"Many lessons can be learned even from incorrect speculation and many accidents have been prevented by information gleaned during these discussions."

I think you can bet that the accident investigators and all the surveyors representing the various interests - hull, cargo, individual cargo owners, consignees etc - will have met up occasionally during the first few days after the accident and gradually exchanged views, debated what could have happened and, also gradually, honed their own opinions. Halifax is not exactly large and if you're a surveyor you'll definitely want to be in the same hotel as the rest of the people involved in the investigation. A week, ten days after the accident there will probably be some sort of privately held consensus as to what really might have happened.

You won't see any of those published until after the official accident report is produced. But the industry is not that large and within a month or so, way before it's published, the real reasons or as close as the collective minds are able to reach them, will be known throughout the industry. And the lessons added to SOPs in many cargo airlines. Including MK's.