PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trilander
Thread: Trilander
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2004, 23:11
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
notmyC150v2. Chances are the Trislander you flew in may be the same "aircraft", or a sister ship to the aircraft mentioned by flyby_kiwi. Bush Pilots had (from memory) around five. I use the term "sister ship" as I suspect the original design may have originated in a Belfast ship yard, from the doodlings of the office tea lady, between morning tea and lunch.

Maybe four (?) of those Bushies "aircraft" found their way to Douglas Airways in Papua New Guinea. One found it's way into the Ramu River and the PNG industry heaved a collective sigh of relief when it never flew again.

Two came back from Douglas to Cape York Air in Cairns and were eventually sold, one to Murchison Relines in West Australia, the other to Victoria. One of the registrations was VH-BSP, can't remember the other. The FNQ aviation heaved a collective sigh of relief.

Google found VH-BSP here and here. You go look - I don't want to see!!

I heard one remained derelict at Port Morbid airport. Don't know if it's still there, but hope so!

If the Australian Trislanders have now gone to New Zealand, the Australian aviation industry can now heave a collective sigh of relief!

Incidentally, the last twelve production "aircraft" may never have flown. I am lead to believe they were shipped to Australia (northern NSW), partially assembled/constructed and were placed in storage for many years. Hopefully they now serve a far more useful life as pots, pans and beer cans.

Tinpis, covered your point above. Yup, went into the Ramu I think, maybe Josephstal? Mike Grant's incident involved C402 VH-SUB ... er sorry, VH-SAB, ex Sepik Air Charter. All the passengers got to swim but Mike didn't even get wet . I was not aware that aircraft was ever found. Mike died some years later in an aircraft accident in Africa.

Correction: VH-SAB (and I think the Trislander) went into the Ramu at Annanberg, not Josephsatl.

Last edited by Torres; 26th Nov 2004 at 20:50.