PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - camcorders and flying...
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2004, 19:36
Fly Stimulator
Carbonfibre-based lifeform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wbryce,

I shoot quite a lot of video while flying, then wait until this sort of time of year to edit it all together.

I use an ordinary consumer-lever Sony DV camcorder (a now-outdated PCR-100) but the anti-shake is surprisingly effective and the picture quality is good.

You can find a good range of camera mounts at B. Hague & Co which should cater for most requirements.

Once you've shot your footage you need lots of disk space for editing and either lots of processer power or lots of time for mpeg encoding if you intend to create DVDs. The most recent DVD I did involved cutting down about six hours of footage which took up nearly 100Gb on the computer. The cheapest way to get that sort of space is probably an external Firewire disk. 250Gb drives aren't that expensive any more.

You can actually use quite slow computers to capture and edit. Until recently I did all my stuff on a 350MHz Pentium II. As long as your disks are reasonably fast then you should be OK for capture, but it took me 28 hours to turn 40 minutes of edited output into an mpeg2 file ready for DVD authoring, admittedly at quite a high quality setting. A couple of months ago I finally upgraded to a 3.4GHz machine with lots of disk, lots of memory and a couple of monitors. That does make things an awful lot faster, but it is certainly possible to get by with more-or-less any machine you're likely to have bought in the past two or three years, albeit perhaps with an an extra disk or two added.

There are lots of relatively cheap (<£100) video editing packages around, most of which are fine for what you want to do. Have a browse around a computer store and have a look at what's available.