PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which country for training?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2004, 18:04
pilotwolf

Helicopter Pilots Get It Up Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I m biased as trained in US... and sure if you search my previous posts on the subject you ll see my views...

I have FAA CPL(H) - no work and low hours but that's down to not having the £££ or $$$ to hit the IR or CFI... could recently have walked into a job if I d had the CFI - with less than 250 hrs. And don't have a problem flying in either country... the controls work just the same and it ll hurt just as much if I get it wrong whatever side of the pond I m flying!

But without being big headed - some of the UK trained pilots are frightening... but then some of the FAA one have been a little worrying...

However if the FAA test is so easy - how come I know of people who fail it yet are deamed competent in the UK? Both PPL and CPL...

What I will say though is I spent less on my CPL than several people spent on their PPL by doing it in the US and that includes my rent/airfare/alcohol/car hire/alcohol/food/alcohol...

Oh and last but not least when I started back in late 1996 I called/faxed/email every school I could find - 50 odd in the US - 49 responed, 30 odd in the UK - 2 responded.... customer service still matters to some people...

PW