PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 25th Nov 2004, 16:04
Auto Relight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I fly both helicopters and airplanes, with years in the airplane first.

Either will provide you with all the challenge you can handle, depending on what route you follow. I flew many years in the Arctic in FW where daily work required landing on ever changing sandbars, beaches, unprepared mountain ridges, tundra, and flying in weather far below what is comforatable. This was not only challenging, but satisfying at the end of the day. This type of work requires solid decision making, excellent "hands and feet," and a certain distain for arbatrary rules. Make no mistake, this work is as far from normal FW flying as helicopters are. Regular pavement to pavement IFR type stuff requires an ability to mulit-task, follow rules, and understand complex a/c systems. This also is challenge, but a very different one.

Helicopter flying is much like the "bush work" described above, and will challenge you every day. There is a huge variety of work to be done in heicopters that can often make every day different. There is also the IFR route in rotary, offering the same type of work as in FW - just alot slower!

As for getting work, here in Canada, either is very difficult and the prospect for decent pay is a few years away. If you say "no problem," then flying could be for you. If you want a decent paycheck right away, I might suggest something else.

Good luck, sorry for the ramble, it's early morning here.

AR