PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A positive approach to NERC and the future
Old 16th Aug 2001, 21:36
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angel

Quote :
>>>3) Have a serious look at buying something "off the shelf" for installation ASAP. Perhaps the EuroControl systems at Maastricht would be appropriate? I don't KNOW, but at least they DO work and must be worth a look.<<<<

I am affraid there is nothing : " off the shelf " for large ATC centres such as London and Maastricht.
You have to customise and integrate smaller pieces of equipment or sofware that were designed for something else. Integrating distributive systems is one of the most difficult thing in ATC.
Specifying what is needed is another.
A controller only needs 40 or 50 functions to do its task, but when technology can give you 300, it is often difficult to resist the temptation..especially see the cost of the whole thing.
The current Eurocontrol Maastricht systems (MADAP) works well. Its intoduction in our new ODS room( same thing as NERC)is not without its own problems as well.
No-one is here to give lessons to anyone else. We are all in the same boat, with he same problems, and it is often too late to stop, re-think and change direction.
The Swiss have done so, costed them 52 Millions USD . Result : Parliamentary inquiry, some managers were fired...some were procecuted ... Unlikely to be repeated elsewere I guess.
Good luck with NERC . I mean it...