PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 25th Nov 2004, 14:20
gilmaris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
choppers Vs planes

Right then, first post on this website after months of confusion. Have spent countless hours doing research for plane training and have finally found a school that fits my needs BUT then the thought of helicopter training poisioned my mind and has left me back at square one with a load more stuff to find out.

Now, this isnt gonna be a 'what school is best' post but more of a 'what are the pro's and con's of each profession?' I realise that some of these are subjective questions of which the answers are neither right or wrong. here goes

Which is the more 'enjoyable' to fly?

It seems to me that Heli flying is more diverse and therefore more interesting than fixed wing flying. - Is this true, or at least a belief shared by many?

I know that finding jobs flying either can be tough but is one field easier to get employment in than the other? (this is assuming one has at least CPL, IR, fATPL in either and possibly some instructor experience. Furthermore, i'm a UK native with no desire to live here at all - which field has better opportunites for working oversees?

Which field provides the greater salaries? (this is, sadly, quite relavant to me as i would have to pay back a large loan).

Hope that these questions dont seem to stupid for all those far wiser than me out there. Would appriciate any comments back which, hopefully, will help me choose what to learn to fly.

Ciao