PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A positive approach to NERC and the future
Old 10th Aug 2001, 19:29
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile A positive approach to NERC and the future

Okay folks, we've all been thru a lot, and are still, but here's a proposal for y'all.

The powers that be at NATS, especially our new co-owners, are supposed to frequent these pages so we have an opportunity to perhaps directly influence the future.

Just for a moment try to forget the almighty f**k up that has brought us to where we are now and look FORWARD a bit. What I'd like to see posted here are some thoughts about what we CAN do in the next few years to improve matters. Anything, no matter how radical would be interesting. Post from newbies as well as old hands please..

Here's some ideas and thoughts to start off with:

1) Forget the January 02 "O" date. Get everybody back to LATCC to sort out the current staff shortage.

2) Use the time contructively to investigate how to get NERC open in October 02,
with the least possible risk

This might mean only taking a few sectors, at least initially. It might mean investigating whether NERC can be run in a "mediator" type format. Abandon the electronics and use the radar "as is" with the "planner" becoming a "co-ordinator", much like TC do now anyway. There may be other options.

3) Have a serious look at buying something "off the shelf" for installation ASAP. Perhaps the EuroControl systems at Maastricht would be appropriate? I don't KNOW, but at least they DO work and must be worth a look.

4) ABOVE ALL. INVOLVE THE STAFF. Don't treat them as mindless Luddites. They ARE NOT. They are a resource. Imagine just what could be achieved if all NATS staff truly were enthusiastic and involved with the company and it's future.

I want things to get better in the future, don't we all, but I am not prepared to roll over and chant the mantra that all is okay with NERC and LATCC. It is not. I am prepared to look forward with workable, achievable ideas that ALL staff can contribute something to. They may not be platable ideas to our current masters, but Tough, they've had their chance and blown it.

...maybe, just maybe..

Rgds BEX