PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL theory- how long does it take?
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2004, 16:26
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking how long people take to do a modular fATPL without asking for more details is unlikely to show anything interesting or useful without more information.

Me... I started flying in 2000, but not with any intention of going on to get an fATPL. Got my PPL in July 2001, decided in October 2001 to get the fATPL. (Yes, I know... comments on my timing not required!) Completed exams in Feb 2003, CPL in November 2003, Instructor rating in May 2004. The reason it's taken me so long is because I did it all part-time, holding down a full-time job at the same time, and using my holidays for exams and training. I also paced myself to ensure that I could do my training without getting into debt. Had I not had a full-time job, and had I saved up the cash in advance, it would have taken me far less time to get this far.

Current plans are to do the IR in the first half of 2005, and the MCC in the latter half of 2005. I will need to borrow some money to finance this - the money will come from the equity in my property, either by re-mortgaging or possibly selling, so I will still have no debt other than a mortgage.

FFF
------------