PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2004, 15:21
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it looks as if there's plenty happening in Nigeria and more new helicopters are on their way there, but rumour has it that ACN certainly and possibly Bristow are now getting so short of crews and engineers that they can't always fly the aircraft they already have. I have heard talk of a substantial pay rise in an effort to get more crews out to Nigeria. Any PPRuNers with either company like to comment? What's happened to HPB and NEO - they've been quiet the last week or so!

There are also a number of contradictory rumours that ACN may be divesting itself of its fixed wing business.

We very rarely hear anything from the CHC pilots in Equatorial Guinea or Angola. Come on guys - what's happening there. I have heard rumours that CHC are tightening up on personal freedom of people in Angola and this combined with the attitude of a certain manager in SA is causing a number of people to start looking elsewhere. What's happening with the new Super Puma which arrived from Norway a few months ago?

Why do we almost never hear from the Francophone African countries? Most of the pilots in these places speak English and there was quite a long thread about Cameroon on the African Aviation Forum not too long ago. I hear they're getting pretty short of pilots there too. Despite the fact they only have 1 full-time operational helicopter there they recently lost 1 pilot to Nigeria (again - Nigeria 5 - Cameroon Nil!! ) and one even to Sudan - must say something about the local management I think as Cameroon has to be one of the best countries in the region.

I hear the CHC/Schreiner operation in Sudan is starting very shortly - if not already. It would be interesting to hear from the guys who are there how conditions are.

Ah well, back to the swampes