PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate Nav fit
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2004, 08:14
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Nav fit

Some Nav- fit advice please.

My Robin Regent is now coming up for 4 years old and I have decided to buy a new one ( pristine/ 370 hours if anybody wants my old one....).

Current fit is -

Garmin - 1 x 430 1 x 420; GTX 320 Mode C Txpdr, G1 106A Nav/ GPS Indicator, GMA 340 Audio panel;

S-TEC 30 Autopilot/ Directional gyro/ Alt. hold.

Current use is day/ VFR but will move towards more IFR/ night.

Current panel is terrific but constrained to 'Day/VFR' simply because I didn't want to pay for an ADF and 'additional' DME (that I wouldn't use anyway).

I also figured when I bought it that the ADF requirement would cease in the near future.... Not so.

So, Now looking for a certified IFR-fit. I am aware of the wonderful bits of kit on the market but am of course constrained by the fact that the the thing is on the G-Reg/ Public CofA and must therefore be certified.

I don't want anything that will be 'certified imminently' because I have had bad experiences. Nothing happens quickly.....

I feel a loyalty to Garmin but will consider Bendix King.

I would like a larger map so the 530 would be an option. However, if I did that, a 430 wouldn't fit also.

What I like about the 'twin Garmins' is my ability to monitor the map page on the 430 and the CDI on the 420 (lots of other pluses too of course). However, I would consider one larger map and thus leave room for the 'IFR Certificated' kit.

I am also thinking that the STEC 55, with altitude capture, would be nice to have too.

My expectation is that there are some clued-up guys out there, likely in the avionics business, that could assist me.

I'm keen to place the order AND NEITHER GARMIN NOR BENDIX KING HAVE YET RESPONDED TO MY EMAILS, so any help or advice will be appreciated.

All the best

HP