PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help for a lowly pilot
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2001, 03:22
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrain Safe - you never had me in the first place

To being on a radar heading, if the descent restriction was given whilst still on your own nav, then the heading at a later stage, I would expect you to still keep to the restriction, transposing it to 'level abeam' yourself. However I understand the problems lately with this and if time permits, I re-issue the restriction to be abeam so no confusion exists, or maybe just, 'the level restriction still applies'.

RT Failure is STILL such an unknown force within UK airspace, I dread to think what would happen in the event. STAR's are routes, and although associated levels are published, they aren't to be adheard to in the event of RTF. If an a/c went RT Failure whilst on a heading after receiving a STAR, I would expect the a/c to continue to the last acknowledged assigned level, resume own navigation to the NEXT point on the flight plan/STAR, continue to the hold maintaining the level and then blah, blah, blah..... In reality, I would like the a/c to follow the STAR including the associated levels as descending in a London TMA holding fix from FL390 is bloody ludicrus (sp?!). Its been said many times (on here alone), and still it goes on.

A question back Sparkey, if we give a conditional clearance to FLXXX, expecting FLZZZ by *****, you start descent, then we finally clear you to FLZZZ (no level offs) would you expect us to re-inforce the 'level by' again, or would you know as you were earlier told??

Always though, in doubt, ASK. Its better to be safe, and it makes our job much easier if we get it right.