PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human resources??????
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2004, 15:51
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re-heat youve missed my point...entirely. Notice I used the word pragmatic..and I emphasize this as it is important in the sense that I see BOTH sides of the arguement.
My point is this....Yes HR have a part to play..however their invlovement in recruitment should be limited to the areas where they are emminently qualified.
This is not the case (except in very isolated cases with individuals who have an aircrew background..experience..and qualifications) for a vast majority of HR personnel working at the front end of the majority of UK airlines. It is only once an individual achieves an arbitrary standard..based around conceptual reasoning...and mathematical expertise (which is fine for ab initio candidates...but wholly invalid for experienced aircrew) that the opportunity to impress is created.
I am not saying all HR are not valuable contributors to the work place....I would just prefer that qualified people..(look at my last post for my definition of qualified) make the recruitment decisions.

As for flawed management policy..........umm divide and rule...Ryanair..recruit low houred pilots..who pay for everything..then wonder why the rest of the workforce is embittered. (oh and yes that particular gem originated in HR..from someone with an accounts qualification)
Basing your recruitment requirements on test scores.....not personailty...nor a combination of both (and no this is not the nice guy arguement).
There are others.....but typing is not my strong suit.

And as for company culture.......to go back to your comment.....how the hell can anyone know if an individual fits into company culture if they havent sat down and talked to them?
I dont accept a psychometric test can establish that!

Im interested in your responses..cheers H

Ohh and most of my HR experiences have been poor...until I got past the monkeys and then met the organ grinder.