PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this a good idea?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 23:45
DickBoyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Spin up. Can it reduce aquaplaning?

Thanks for the link to "Tyre spin up". Several talked about tire wear, activation of spoilers, greaser landings, reaction forces on the gear, gyroscopic forces and the like. Interesting thoughts.

I was looking for comments on aquaplaning associated with a non-rotating tire.

For ABS to be useful, the tire has to rotate. A non-rotating tire at landing speeds takes considerable force to get it to begin rotating. (Moment of inertia and all.)

If the tire is not rotating, the tire can hydroplane on its melted rubber. (Reversion hydroplaning) Even on a dry pavement the melted rubber from a locked wheel reduces friction forces.

During the early part of landing, the wheels do not have full aircraft weight. Even with spoilers, there is some lift. Friction force depends on how much downward force is on the tyre. (whoops, I mean tire.)

Wet runway landings call for a "hard" landing. I guess to make sure the wheels spin.

On a wet runway when do the wheels begin to spin? At touchdown? When do spoilers deploy? Based on what sensor? Weight on wheels? Wheel spin? If the wheels don't spin due to a water layer, will the spoilers still deploy? At what tire speed do spoilers deploy? Is there an automatic go around procedure if tire spin up does not happen at touchdown or shortly after? Or an alert for manual spoilers?

If the wheel were already spinning would it more likely make runway contact rather than water contact? Would a spinning wheel be more likely to contact concrete rather than water?

What effect on friction on a wet runway would it make if the tire were brought up to 50% to 85% of landing ground speed? Would that additional rotation enhance braking by ensuring the patch area stops?

I know of at least one takeoff with locked wheels (no skis). Do any of you know of an aircraft taking off with locked wheels?