PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merlin latest
Thread: Merlin latest
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 18:21
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duncan

I cant tell if you are taking the p*ss or not, however being a "freak", I'm obviously stupid as well but extremely well natured, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

As the Bag HWI I did some work with 814 when they brought the Merlin to sea a few years ago. Their use of L11 was a massive SA builder for the fisheads over the Mk6 and they did some good work during ASUW (or should that now be SUW?) serials. The squadron was extremely well motivated and exceptionally well led by their CO and SP/SOBS and therefore were a happy bunch. The pilots loved flying the aircraft and getting involved in the tactics, which is a real improvement over the SK6. Had the Merlin come into service as planned, ie years ago, the addition of L11 to the Pinger repertoire would have been awesome at that time. I just think that with the MOD trying to move towards Network Centricity, L11 will become dated.
Willy-waving about what Link you have doesn't spin my props.
Me neither. We were lucky to get L16. You guys should get it as well. What the Merlin needs is JTIDS or CEC added at its upgrade (IMHO). Money, as always, will probably become an issue.

jockspice

Is this arrangement just in place until SABR sorted? Good to see the old airframes not being put to pasture at Sultan and actually being used. Now why couldnt us freaks get some of those low houred airframes ?