PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight
Thread: Eyesight
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 13:46
pumuckl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for ATC in the UK you need a UK Class 1 medical (NOT a JAA Class 1), the limits for eyesight are stricter than for a JAA Class 1, namely: +/-3 dioptres (for an initial medical anyway). It has nothing to do with NATS - it's the CAA that set the limits for the UK Class 1.

When I rang the NATS medical department a while back (there should still be a thread somewhere in the medical forum on this specific issue) the doctor I spoke to said that the UK CAA will eventually bring the eyesight limit in line with the JAA member states, but they don't know when that will happen yet. The JAA Class 1 initial limits are less strict: -5/+3, but for ATC you still need the UK Class 1 medical. I also rang the Gatwick medical department at the time and the doctor there told me the same thing.

On a positive note, I was slightly over the limit (-3.25) (which is why I was so interested in this) but as I am in my late 20s the doctor told me that my eyesight should be stable, therefore I would be fine. I now have my UK Class 1 medical (as well as a JAA Class 1), so no problems there.

It might be best if you ring the NATS or Gatwick medical people to confirm this though, never know, the rules might have changed since July 04.

p.