PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Decision now Excited/scared bout CATC
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 09:58
Scotsliveit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch Council Tax

Thanks 777. That's certainly great encouragement hearing you're in the same boat as myself really.

But Ouch having to pay council tax on that salary, that's going to hurt most and really effect the standard of life. I suppose that pushing me towards the idea of sharing a big house with a couple of people now. I'd be interested in what your living arrangement are 777. Also interested in how you came across ATC as a career and what your motivations to go for it were.

Life's about sacrifices and we all know why were're doing this or planning to do it. I have never heard of any profession where people say they love their job so much and it's the best job in the world.

There's also that feeling that you're all aiming for the same thing. Having that in common creates very strong bonds. It was similar when I passed my pilot tests at Cranwell. Everyone clicked because we had common aims. Different personalities to bounce off though which made it fun.

Perhaps the reason why the application process is so long is the NATS wants to be sure it's not a whim you're indulging and that you really want to do it before they begin to spend a quarter million training you.

During the last few months I've really been thinking about this and know I have to do it in the end. Yesterday for example when I was hungover : 'I'm thinking oh my God I'm a really going give all this up to go for it, I love this city, I love my friends/family/dog.'

In the end though I don't love my job and I'm gripped and fascinated with this career.

ppmuckle 3:1 female to male ratio is fine by me One of my concerns coming from a 'normal' job was that I'd find myself in an overly male environment. Although my Consultant job at the moment is a bit overly female which can be just as bad.

When I used the word scared in the title of the thread I was just expressing concern about the opaque nature of the job. You don't really know what it is until you do it. I wonder if the tests I've passed really mean I'm suitable for the job. I know I've got alot of hard work ahead of me even though I consider myself a bright spark, it's the natural ability thing though.

Those with experience may laugh at this but I'm considering really going to town on brushing up my mental arithmetic as i haven't really used that under fire since first and second year at secondary school (and then lives and my career didn't depend on it.)

Can't wait till March though fingers crossed when that letter comes through I can go about selling the flat.

I'm grateful for the feedback everyone.