PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2004, 18:35
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mr Purdey,
Read the book and accept it for what it is. Another opinion based upon the few facts available. As I said, it may well be what happened, but we will never know with absolute certainty - the required level of proof.

I'm happy to agree that normal practice was for the pilots to see, and agree, the waypoint before effecting a navigation change. Like you, I don't want to go over old ground by disputing the issue surrounding speed and height, as neither readings prior to, or just after, the waypoint change are known. In fact, I wrote to the MoD to ask if they could specifically advise me of where the negligence occurred - asking for height, speed, heading and the Lat & Long and how many minutes into the flight the waypoint change was made. They wrote back stating that it was not possible to do so using the terms I had set, and quoted a statement made by Air Marshal Day to the HoL Select Committee. His reply wasn't convincing.

I would have thought that this information would have been crucial to satisfying an 'absolutely no doubt whatsoever' requirement. How can you have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that negligence occurred, yet not know where or when it did?

However, as you say, there is no evidence from the cockpit to confirm anything. On that basis alone, the verdict of negligence is unsafe.

BOAC,
I'll check for the address you ask for and post it once found (sorry for not having it to hand). To contact your local MP, try using the
Fax Your MP Website

My best to all, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook