PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human resources??????
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2004, 12:22
The Southend King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deathcruzer et al,

The Old Days? Which "Old Days" are you referring to, because I have been in the industry since the mid 70's and I have a different recollection to you. My first interview in the 1972 was with the personnel department of a large airline, and a line pilot to ask technical questions. I only got to that stage having completed a day of psychometric and maths tests.

Maybe you're thinking of the small, Air Taxi outfit, where the Chief pilot could find the time to interview 5 or 6 candidates to make sure they were nice guys.

But when an airline gets 2000 applicants for 10 positions, thats not practical is it? You will find that the Chief Pilot, or his nominated deputy gets the FINAL SAY, but somewhere along the way there has to be a filter, and a reasonability check.

No airline can just afford to recruit " nice guys" who can impress the chief pilot at interview. The airline needs to be sure that the individual will have the ability to cope with training, has a good understanding of the industry, has a good understanding of the role, and most of all has the commitment to the job ( rather than just the money to buy his or her way into the job).

Also.

funny how airlines survived so long without HR departments and without all sorts of nutters getting FD jobs
The fact is, they didn't. There is sufficient evidence of accidents caused by people unsuitable for the job ( The Trident in Staines is a good example) Modern airlines, just like most companies MUST have process that are open and visible in term of recruitment, because there is a possibility that, following an accident or incident, the pilot's files, right back to recruitment will be heavily scrutinised to ensure that some process was followed.

HR departments, whether we like them or not, are there to cover the company's back with regard to Employment legislation, and that includes recruitment, grievience and dismissal. The legislation has changed so much over the years that it needs PROFESSIONAL monitoring.

The problem is that you guys still sound as if the industry owes you a job. It doesn't. If you want to join an airline, accept the fact that you have to go through their process. There isn't a Chief Pilot in the UK who would bypass them in this litigous age.