PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON TUBE DRIVERS ON PILOTS PAY!
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2001, 17:37
CLUNK

I'm currently in I.T. (although not spotty.). I don't mean to tread on anyone’s toes by posting here without yet having stripes on my arm, but as the point has been made throughout the forum - "it's all about supply and demand". I agree you don't get paid nearly enough, but there are several thousand 'wannabes' who are willing (and qualified) to step into your shoes (for less money) if you don't want your job. I can't think of any other profession where supply outweighs demand to such an extent - try as I might, I haven't yet been able to find the "wannabes" subway drivers forum. I certainly don’t have people queuing up for my job.

Face it – you have chosen one of those jobs that people just want to do, despite the “grass not being greener” when you finally get there. If your still in any doubt, try going to the Wannabes forum and posting a Topic entitled “Who wants my job for 50% of my Salary”. I suspect the number of responses will also be higher than your salary.

Apologies again if I cause offence, but for God’s sake, I know people who have sold just about every possession they own just to get the opportunity of some day doing what you do – and it isn’t for the money. Would you swap your flying career for an office job paying twice the salary?

There will always be people earning more money than you do, it has nothing to do with responsibility or qualifications or anything like that (although it should) – the nurse who delivers your baby will probably earn less than the guy who delivers your mail - now THAT is a just cause for complaint!