PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leg Room
Thread: Leg Room
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2004, 19:35
Romeo Delta
Wherefore Art I?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derek,

As I am 6'6" and over 300 lbs (or 2m and 140kgs), I can truly relate to your dilemma. I can say that the best long-haul airline for seat pitch is Air New Zealand (a full 2" more than anyone else I've found; I can even put the tray table all the way down and it's not resting on my knees). And as Air NZ is rarely 100% full, I usually ask if they can block off the seat next to me, and 99% they can do it (and the one time they didn't, a VERY attractive young lady sat next to me, so it wasn't all bad).

Finnair also has a pretty comfortable economy class.

As for others, you're right, it's pretty bad out there in economy class. I've found if you're in a good city and relatively nice to the staff, and ask politely if there's ANTHING they can do to help you out, there is a chance for redemption. Using that tactic on several trips, I've been upgraded at the door as my boarding pass was being scanned ("hold on, sir, a seat just came available"). Thank them profusely and have a more comfortable seat.

Just my .02 (gotta go to the bank and change that back into US money...). Best of luck to you!

RD