PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC reporting QRA sramble
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2004, 16:43
Bunker Mentality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lippiatt,

I've checked the meaning of 'libel' in my OED, which offers: 'a published false statement damaging to a person's reputation'. The QRA crews fly live armed ac and consequently operate under very strict rules whether on practice or operational missions.

I think your statement: 'the F3s however decided that it was far too difficult to take out the intended target, instead they opted for an American tanker nearby' satisfies this definition. That implies that the crews were behaving like cowboys, by ignoring their orders and the rules under which they operate - and it's just not true. This seems damaging to the crews' reputations to me (and, by extention to the reputation if the RAF).

How the incident came to happen will no doubt come to light in due course. In the meantime, lets try not to cast unfounded aspersions.

I'm sorry if I'm getting a bit earnest here - I know this is a Rumour Network. But this kind of comment can be intensely irritating to the people involved (which doesn't include me) and lead to all sorts of nastiness in the press, so I felt I had to say something. I doubt very much that you'll be getting a letter from Sue, Grabbit & Runne, anyway.

Rant over. I'll get back in my hole.

Last edited by Bunker Mentality; 20th Nov 2004 at 17:14.